The Palace of Versailles

Palace of Versailles, also known as château de Versailles, is located in Île-de-France, twelve miles in the south western direction from the core of Paris. This palace has a historical importance because the Peace Treaty of Paris was signed there, it was where world war one ended when the Treaty of Versailles was signed in 1919. In addition, it is a United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation site. It is the second most visited place in Île-de-France region, in 2017, the site received about 7, 7 million visitors. Initially, it was owned by Gondi family, a member of a monastery governed by Saint Julian. King Henry the fourth used to hunt in 1589, and he went to hunt at that area that is now occupied by this palace in 1601, later on joined by his son in 1607.

Louis the twelvth became king in

Louis the twelvth became king in 1610, when he decided to build a hunting lodge of two storeys. His mother organised with some members of royalty to plan a coup and remove his son from kingship. On discovering this betrayal, Louis the thriteenth sent the mother into exile. He then decided to make that hunting lodge a palace, by purchasing land surrounding it from Gondi family in 1631. Louis the thriteenth had an architect, Philibert le Roy replaced hunting lodge with a château of brick, stone and roofs covered in high slates. The construction tool place between 1631 and 1634, with gardens, park, undergoing modifications by Jacques Boyceau, taking forty years for the gardens to be decorated to completion. After him, Louis the fourteenth got passion for the palace after sudden demise of Cardinal Mazarin in 1661, he rebuilt, added important unique details to make it more attractive and enlarged it, to create more room for relaxation or entertainment.

The Palace of Versailles

These modifications took place between 1678 until 1715, when he added a chill spot situated far away from the main court, giving room for advisers. Louis the fifteenth inherited the palace after father died, just like those before, did modifications to fit a lifetyle he had then. A royal opera theatre was added, and a salon of Hercules because that king enjoyed relaxations or luxuries. He provided accommodation for his two famous mistresses, after ordering demolition of north wing which was worn out due to long periods of existence. Phillipe converted the palace to a museum opening it to the public.

Demolition of Ambassador’s Staircase made their palace lose its beauty, as people may say. Currently, the château is owned by the French state in 21st century. Since 1995, this establishment was run as a public establishment, supervised by French Ministry of culture. Even after all these modifications and changes, this palace still holds its historical values, remaining to be a great monument for tourists travelling from far going all the way to see it by themselves. The château receives approximately ten million visitors every year from other countries, covering an area of 8, 2 square kilometers, it is the most visited historic sites globally.